Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Art Quilts

My Texas friend Kerrie will be so proud of me!! I just finished my first 2 art quilts. Quilting Arts Magazine is having a contest for their 2010 calendar. The theme of the calendar is "Fresh Picked" and each quilt is 12x12. Here are my 2 entries.

The first quilt is called “A bowl of sunshine”. Living up in cold and snowy PA is very depressing (especially when you move here from FL). At the grocery store I found these beautiful big Oranges and they reminded me the FL sunshine. I brought a few home and before they were used for smoothies I took lots of photos. I had the perfect bright green bowl and the colors shouted spring is just around the corner. I used the photographs as inspiration for the “A bowl of sunshine” quilt. I used raw edge appliqué, thread painting & free motion quilting. I re-dyed the turquoise background fabric to get just the shade I needed. I also used my color pencils & Shiva Paintsticks to accentuate the highlights & shadows. The beading adds highlights to the rims of the bowl. The quilt is bound with a satin stitch.


The second quilt is called "Daisy". You could call “Daisy” a self-portrait. When I was a young girl we use to pick Daisies & Clover and make necklaces out of them. Those memories were the inspiration for the quilt. Last Spring I took an online workshop that taught you how to draw these cute little girl faces and thought this was a perfect time to use this new skill. I used fabric markers, fabric paint and soft pastels for the face. Fabric paint was also added to the hair to give more definition. Raw edge appliqué, free motion quilting and embroidery are also used on the quilt. The quilt is bound with a satin stitch.

1 comment:

pleintexasgirl said...

These are gorgeous—and yes I am so proud! You will be forever hooked. Daisy is a doll, and when I saw her I knew it was you. Good luck on your entry to Quilting Arts, I hope your "Bowl of Orange" is chosen.We need to be neighbors again—fabric shopping isn't the same!